1. How Do I Qualify to Accept Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments for My Rental Units?

Once you have a Housing Choice Voucher tenant come to you to rent a property, and you have completed tenancy screening along with the required voucher program forms, the unit you wish to rent will need to pass a health and safety inspection.  See the categories we inspect for in our Housing Quality Standards FAQ

2. How Do I Access the Direct Deposit System for Housing Assistance Payments?

After signing up for direct deposit, monthly voucher payments are electronically deposited into a landlord’s existing checking or savings account.

RENT Café Landlord Portal

3. How can I raise the rent of my unit leased by a Housing Choice Voucher Holder?

If you want to raise a Housing Choice Voucher holder’s rent, you must submit a written request to Housing Works. A copy of the Notice of Rent Increase is an acceptable form. The Rent Increase should include:

  • tenant’s name and address
  • the current rent
  • the proposed rent
  • the effective date of the new rent

Housing Works will verify through a Rent Reasonable Comparison that the requested rent is no more than the rent you are charging for any comparable, unassisted units in your property. We ask that you follow Oregon Landlord and Tenant Law requirements when serving a Notice of Rent Increase.

4. Do I treat a voucher holder differently?

Under the Source of Income Discrimination Law, landlords cannot refuse to rent to an applicant, or treat an applicant or tenant differently, because the applicant is using a Housing Choice Voucher. It is also illegal for landlords to advertise, “No Section 8.” Landlords can still screen and reject any applicant, including those with a Housing Choice Voucher, for past conduct and/or inability to pay rent.

Regarding normal tenancy requirements, the same rules apply for voucher holders and non-voucher holders under Oregon Landlord and Tenant Law.

If you have questions regarding Oregon Landlord and Tenant Law, please visit: https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/tenant.html

5. I Have Properties in Several Counties. Which of my Central Oregon Rentals are Eligible for the Section 8 Voucher Program? 

Housing Works is the sole administrator of Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers for Crook, Jefferson and Deschutes Counties. All rental units are eligible for participation in the Housing Choice Voucher program, as long as the unit meets Housing Quality Standards (HQS) and the landlord is willing to comply with the terms of the Housing Assistance Payment Contract.

6. What is Housing Works’ Relationship to HUD? 

Housing Works is a public municipal corporation that contracts with HUD to administer the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program in Central Oregon.

7. I’m Selling My Property, and the New Owner Wishes to Keep Accepting Section 8 Vouchers.  What Do I Need to Do?

Fill out the Change of Ownership Payee Form and return it to Housing Works.

Housing Works
405 SW 6th Street
Redmond, OR 97756
p (541) 923-1018
f (541) 923-6441