A key to expanding access to affordable apartments in Central Oregon is our rental assistance partnership with HUD (the federal government’s housing department) and Central Oregon landlords.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program, also called Section 8, enables very low-income households to rent units from private landlords with subsidies administered by Housing Works.
Through the Housing Choice Voucher program, Housing Works awards Housing Assistance Payments (vouchers) to those in need. Voucher holders may apply these subsidies to rent at either Housing Works-owned properties or in privately-owned properties.
Benefits for Landlords Accepting Housing Choice Vouchers
- On time, reliable and guaranteed rental payments. Housing Works pays a set portion of your tenant’s rent directly to you on the first of each month. The renter pays the difference.
- Potential for higher occupancy & lower turnover. Participating landlords broaden their pool of prospective tenants. Since voucher holders sign a one-year lease, many become long-term, dependable residents.
- Standard charges and fees. The same security deposits and late fees in effect for private-market renters are applicable to voucher renters.
VIDEO: HCV Program: Basics, Benefits, and Ways to Participate. To view short video, click here.
24-Hour Access to Rental Payments
- Confirm your personal information such as mailing address, email address and phone numbers to ensure quality communication between you and the housing authority.
- View your billing and payment transactions on your ledger.
- View the certification specialist/case worker assigned to your tenant(s).
- View current inspection and historical inspections on your unit(s).
- View information such as holds/abatements placed on your unit(s).
To access the Rent Café Landlord Portal, click here:Rent Café Landlord Portal
Landlord Eligibility Requirements
- Initial & annual inspections. To be part of the Housing Choice Voucher program, each unit is inspected to ensure that it meets the Housing Quality Standards (HQS) set forth by the federal government. This is required as part of our commitment to provide safe, sanitary affordable housing to participants.
- Enroll in direct deposit. Housing Works sends rental assistance payments directly to landlords’ bank accounts each month. You simply register your choice of bank account with us.
- Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract. Landlords must comply with the terms of the HAP Contract, executed between the landlord and Housing Works.
Contact the Housing Specialist Team to get started.
Affordable Housing Site (formerly GoSection8.com)
Looking to list your rental property for Free? Through AffordableHousing.com renters can search for affordable apartments, condos, houses, and townhouses. including section 8 rental housing and housing agency waiting lists across the US. For a direct link to AffordableHousing.com, click here.
Landlord Guarantee Program Administered by OHCS
Landlord Compensation Fund
The Oregon Legislature enacted an eviction moratorium and established the Landlord Compensation Fund (HB 4401). The Legislature allocated $200 million in rent assistance to support tenants and landlords, which includes $150 million for the Landlord Compensation Fund. OHCS will be developing program materials in the coming weeks as we prepare to launch the Landlord Compensation Fund.
To obtain additional information on the Landlord Compensation Fund or to see if you qualify for funds, visit the OHCS website by clicking here.
HUD offers a large menu of resources for landlords interested in participating in the Housing Choice Voucher Program. Feel free to watch the brief video below to find out how to participate. For additional Landlord Resources found directly on the HUD website, click here.