Get Help with Rent
Looking for Rent Assistance?
Housing Works is the sole administrator for HUD’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program in Deschutes, Jefferson and Crook Counties. Here are the steps and requirements for low-income families or individuals to apply for Housing Choice Vouchers to get help with rent.
1. Fill out an application form online during the period when the voucher waiting list is open. The Section 8 HCV Waiting List opens for a one-week period each January.
2. We receive many more requests for assistance than the number of vouchers available. All qualifying applicants are placed on a waiting list.
- The Section 8 HCV Waiting List opens for a one-week period each January. The order of this waiting list is determined through random lottery selection.
- Click on this link to Apply For a Housing Choice Voucher
- Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing vouchers are allocated by the local VA office. To contact the Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing vouchers referral line for an eligibility determination please call 877-424-3838
3. If there is sufficient funding to issue additional vouchers, Housing Works will choose names from the waiting list in order of their placement and according to HUD guidelines. The order of the Section 8 HCV Waiting List is determined through a random lottery drawing. Housing Works has a local residency preference for households residing in our jurisdiction.
4. Those applicants selected from the waiting list have their income and eligibility verified. We also conduct background checks for all applicant household members over the age of 18. Those who pass these verifications receive vouchers to use towards rent.
5. Housing Works' Section 8 HCV Waiting List is valid through December 31st of each year. If not selected, applicants must reapply in January of each year for the Section 8 HCV Waiting List.
Award of a Housing Choice Voucher is determined solely by the application process described above. Housing Works is an equal opportunity housing provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, or family status.
Still have questions? Get the FAQs.